By Dr. Megan Touron
Almost all of us know someone, whether it be a friend, relative or distant acquaintance who suffers from asthma.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 13 people suffer from asthma and it is the leading chronic disease in children. (2)
Asthma is a respiratory condition that causes inflammation of the bronchioles, narrowing the airways and making something as simple as breathing much more difficult.
And while the exact cause of asthma is unknown, (and varies for each individual) it is usually triggered by an immune response to something environmental.
Traditional Medical Treatment
Traditionally, there are two main types of medications used to treat asthma, either long term control medications and quick relief inhalers.
Most of us have seen someone use a quick relief inhaler or “rescue inhalers”. These provide a fast acting medication to be used as needed to quickly open the airways and make breathing easier. (8)
Long term control medications are usually taken on a daily basis. But out of all the medications prescribed for long term control, it has been found that all but the inhaled corticosteroids have varying side effects ranging from psychological disorders (suicidal thinking, hallucinations, depression) to severe asthmatic reactions. (9)
The Unknown Fix? Chiropractic Care!
When treating asthmatic patients, the main objectives of chiropractic spinal manipulation are to:
- Increase the motion of the rib cage and associated cartilage
- Improve blood supply to and from the lungs and lymphatic return
- Improve nerve function to the lungs
Chiropractic care works to directly and holistically affect change without the use of drugs. It’s a non-invasive and gentle alternative to traditional asthmatic treatments.
Does Chiropractic Care work? Absolutely.
Several studies have been done looking at the links between chiropractic adjustments and their affects, specifically in patients with asthma. All of the studies show that both children and adults report a decrease in the severity of their asthmatic symptoms following chiropractic adjustments.
Some examples of these studies and their findings include:
- 2001 study by Bronfort et al. – Studied children between 6-17 years of age suffering from asthma that underwent chiropractic spinal manipulation care, and at the end of the study it was found that these children were scoring their quality of life at higher levels than before. (5)
- Likewise, in another study observing 81 children undergoing chiropractic care over a period of 60 days, it was found that 90.1% of the children reported significant decreases in impairment ratings at the end of their treatment.(6)
- Nielson et al. also performed a trial of 31 patients, age ranging from 18-44, who suffer from chronic asthma. At the conclusion of the trial, non-specific bronchial hyperreactivity was reduced by 36% and patient-rated asthma severity had dropped by 24%7. (7)
If you’re looking for an all natural solution to treat your child’s Asthma then chiropractic care is the right choice for you.
Click the link below to schedule your assessment, or call us at 423-498-3400 if you have any questions!
Reach Health and Wellness Chiropractic is located in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area specifically in Collegedale, TN, a short distance from Ooltewah, Cleveland, East Brainerd, East Ridge, Ringgold, Apison, and Harrison.
Dr. Megan Touron is a practicing chiropractic physician at Reach Health and Wellness Chiropractic. For her full bio, click here.
*This content is strictly the opinion of Dr. Megab Touron and is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of medical advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Dr. Touron does not take responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.
4. Leboeuf-Yde C, Pedersen EN, Bryner P, Cosman D, Hayek R, Meeker WC, Shaik J, Terrazas O, Tucker J, Walsh M. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005 Jun; 28(5):294-302; discussion 365-6.
5. Bronfort G, Evans RL, Kubic P, Filkin P. Chronic pediatric asthma and chiropractic spinal manipulation: a prospective clinical series and randomized clinical pilot study.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug; 24(6):369-77.
6. Graham RL, Pistolese RA. An impairment rating analysis of asthmatic children under chiropractic care. J Vertebral Subluxation Research. 1997;1:1–8
7. Nielsen NH, Bronfort G, Bendix T, Madsen F, Weeke B. Chronic asthma and chiropractic spinal manipulation a randomized clinical trial. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 1995; 25: 80–88.
8. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asthma/in-depth/asthma-treatment/art-20 044284